A documenation of my year abroad

A documentation of my year abroad

10 January 2011

Who would've thought that Thursday would be the best day of the week

Well, it’s been a while, but nothing too out of the ordinary went on this past week. I don’t think I’d fully gotten over jet lag until Thursday since my series of half-hour afternoon naps that ended up lasting 4 hours kept messing things up.

Tuesday night I ate out with Sam, Alex and Liz at a restaurant in town that one of my teachers had recommended to me – La Tannerie. It was reasonably priced and the food was great, a starter, main dish and dessert was only around 15 €. It had a really nice interior too.


I had a couple of new classes this week at the lycée, the one group of students I have in another class, but the other two I’d never worked with any of the students before. Their teacher had warned me that their English wasn’t very good, and their French not much better, but I was able to improvise a couple of activities to get them talking since the only help she provided was that I should “talk about ‘selling’ vocabulary with them.”

I was really proud of my lessons at the collège this week, and the kids seemed to like them too. One of my teachers said, “My kids come back to me and they’re bilingual saying, ‘oh we’ve already done that with Matt.’” We worked on physical descriptions and after a PowerPoint with some pictures of people who look like their dogs (Google it and you’ll see what I mean) and superheroes, I had them draw Wanted posters of an imaginary criminal.

This weekend a group of us went out in Rouen for a round of “pub golf” to celebrate Alex’s 21st birthday. Usually you’re supposed to go to 18 different bars and get a drink at each (there are a bunch of rules apparently) but Rouen doesn’t have 18 bars so we settled for only 3 or 4 holes before heading to a club. People may have hated us as we disrupted traffic playing with a plastic golf set made for 4+ or because of our golf get-ups, but we had a good time.

Not too much planned for this week. My Monday tennis routine will start up again, but not sure yet of any side trips for the weekend. But speaking of trips, goal for the week: plan my trip for the first half of winter vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment