A documenation of my year abroad

A documentation of my year abroad

27 March 2011

When life gives me lemons, I make limeade

Yeah, that's how I do it. One of many things about life in France that I really like is the fact that I'm never at a loss for things to do. Forget grass growing under my feet, not even dust has the chance to settle down over here. It's a much appreciated change of pace from home, one that I'm especially going to miss as the first of the final three weeks (!!!!!) of teaching gets underway.

So the sun has finally decided to return to Normandy. With warmer weather and sunny skies, I could think of only one place I'd like to be: the beach. So on Friday, after recruiting some of the other assistants to go with me, I'd decided that we'd be heading to Deauville. Unfortunately, on Saturday morning, after sprinting down the street to make the 8.55 bus, I got a text from Sam asking where I was because I missed it. Unbeknownst to me, the bus schedule had changed in February, and after taking another bus to the station hoping in vain that I'd make the 9.28 train, before I knew it I was on my way back to Louviers, deciding what to do next. Sure I had some errands that needed to be done, but I was jealous of the others going to Deauville sans moi.

As I was thinking about what to do, I got a call presenting me with an alternative that I'd overlooked: Paris. Durrr. Win. Problem solved. I met the others that I was supposed to go to the beach with and we spent the day in Paris. Our first stop was for some scrumtrulescent falafel in the Jewish quarter. Even though the Jewish Sabbath is Saturday (a fun fact I never knew), and the restaurant Fiona had originally intended us to go to was closed, I inhaled mine and was more than satisfied with my food baby.


After lunch, we decided to go for a walk along the Seine; can't get much more Parisian than that. Before we'd even made it to the more pedestrian-friendly side of the river, we saw the first of several Bateaux-Mouches cruise by and another light bulb started blazing.






After the boat ride was finished and we were walking along the Seine away from the Eiffel Tower, I had another "am I dreaming?" moment. It will never get old. Paris, Deauville, Louviers, it doesn't matter where I go, the feeling's the same: ma vie, c'est top!

No comments:

Post a Comment