A documenation of my year abroad

A documentation of my year abroad

23 November 2010

And then it finally hit me.

I’m not sure what caused it because today started like any other. I didn’t have class until the afternoon, but I had to get up early to finish my Thanksgiving presentation. After speed-walking to the collège to print and make photocopies of Turkey Bingo and a Thanksgiving vocabulary worksheet, I was greeted with a gift from one of my students. Last week was Eid al-Adha, a Muslim religious holiday known as the “Festival of Sacrifice,” and Zerifa brought in a traditional cake that they eat to celebrate. She was not in school last Tuesday because of the holiday, and I’m not in that class on Thursdays, so she saved some for me and gave it to me today. It’s kind of like baklava, but so much better than any baklava I’ve ever had. I helped their teacher grade their presentations on William the Conqueror and after class was over, I spent the next hour discussing American food and prices with the teacher. I had a menu from my favorite deli in the Bronx and one in Orlando that I’m going to use for a presentation on American breakfast and lunch next week.

My Thanksgiving lesson with the 6èmes went really well - they were amazed that all that food goes on one table. They especially liked the floats and balloons in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Maybe it was when an 11 year-old shouted “Wow! He’s so lucky!” or the sun setting on the walk home; maybe it was the swans in the canals that wind their way through Louviers, or The Temper Trap’s “Sweet Disposition” coming on at exactly the right moment. Or it could have been the fact that the only time I spoke English today was in the classroom. I don’t know what it was, but Gaëtan was right, I am really, really lucky. And while I will miss my family come Thursday, when I take a good look at where I am and what I’m doing there’s no point in being anything but happy - I have a lot to be thankful for. And I know I’ve already said it, but Happy Thanksgiving à tous! Enjoy a nice, long food coma for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment