A documenation of my year abroad

A documentation of my year abroad

29 November 2010

The Venice of the North

This past weekend was spent exploring the canals of Amsterdam, which connect about 90 islands using some 1,500 bridges. Even though I left Louviers in plenty of time on Friday to make it to the airport, I hadn’t anticipated that the traffic in Paris would be so heavy. I was only waiting at the gate for 10 minutes before boarding started and the trip began. The flight was only 45 minutes (so glad I didn’t take the train, which was ~15€ cheaper, but takes 3 hours) and after a train and tram ride I dropped my stuff off at the hotel and headed back up to the train station to meet the others.
After everyone was checked in we set out to explore the infamous Red Light District, which to my surprise (and slight disappointment), was a lot tamer than I had anticipated. I’d imagined a street along the canal filled with seedy people, sex shops, and drug paraphernalia; and while it had all those things, it still wasn’t as wild as I’d expected.
On the way into the Red Light District.

The next day we wandered around the rest of the city. In lieu of the Anne Frank House, whose line was way too long only an hour after opening, and the over-priced van Gogh Museum, we headed back into the center of town to explore the rest of our options.
I amsterdam.
_____________________________________________________. ____________________. _______________________________, ___________________. _______________________________! ________________________, _________________. _____, ________. _____________________, ________, _________, _______________________.
Ice skating rink at the Winterplaza.
_______________________________________________________.

All things considered it was a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment